Pornography & Wives: Responding to and Healing from Pornography Use and Secretive Sexual Behavior in Marriage
Jill Manning, PhD, LMFT, CCPS, Therapist
This session will examine how pornography use and secretive sexual behavior impact the marriage relationship and wives of pornography users in particular. Research-based strategies for responding to and healing from this issue will be discussed. The class will be presented in such a way as to be beneficial for leaders, family members and couples who are directly impacted by pornography’s influence. The main points of the class are as follows:
- Concealed case examples will be used to establish the scope of situations and responses that are typical.
- The importance of partner-sensitive versus addict-centered care.
- The difference between disclosure and discovery.
- Common fears women have when they learn of this problem.
- Common effects and symptoms experienced by women dealing with a compulsive sexual issue in their marriage.
- Common misconceptions about women in this situation.
- The CAVED principle of recovery (Connection, Advocacy, Validation, Education, Direction).
- Most and least effective supports from family.
- Most and least effective supports from clergy.
- Effective types of help for wives.
Jill Manning, Ph.D. is a licensed marriage and family therapist and Certified Clinical Partner Specialist (CCPS) who specializes in working with individuals impacted by sexual addiction, pornography or betrayal trauma in their primary relationship. In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Manning is a researcher, author, consultant and activist. She has been featured in numerous television and radio programs, and in 2005 was invited to testify before a US Senate sub-committee about the harms of pornography on the family. She currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Association of Partners of Sex Addicts Trauma Specialists (APSATS), as well as the Board of Directors for Enough is Enough. Dr. Manning is a native of Calgary, Alberta and currently lives in Colorado with her family.